Today is a gloomy, rainy day and I instantly had a craving to get some fall baking done. I did have to battle the wind and the rain to get these ingredients, but it was so worth it. I was posting as I was baking through my Instagram-Story @sydhoff3 and a lot of you were asking for the recipe.
I will say this is definitely a more healthier version of Pumpkin Spice Muffins, so feel free to add more sugar or change it, if you don't care for the calories and just want a good treat.
I'll be completely honest I had no idea I made a more healthier version, but I'm really happy about it because I'm home alone with a dozen muffins and it's making me feel a bit better about eating so many.
Pumpkin Spice Muffins Recipe
- 2 cups of whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon (I would suggest adding more)
- 2 teaspoons of nutmeg (I only used cinnamon, but if you have nutmeg I would definitely suggest adding some)
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (I added a little more)
- 1/4 brown sugar (I added more, and if you want them to taste more sweet, definitely add more)
- 2 cups unsweetened apple sauce (I would suggest adding a little less)
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
In a medium bowl mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg.
In a large bowl combine eggs, pumpkin, sugar, applesauce, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract. Slowly add everything in the medium bowl into the large bowl.
Mix together until everything looks like this...
If you want an even more sweeter treat, I think this would be great with semi-sweet chocolate chips!!
Add batter into nonstick muffin cups. Bake for about 28-30 minutes and voila!!! These are so moist, delicious and have a subtle sweetness! I added some butter with mine, but honey or any jams would pair perfectly with these as well.